To make an apple pie from scratch….
…you must first create the universe – Carl Sagan.
And with that famous quote we begin (what I hope is) a series of reasonably funny, interesting, and educational posts, chronicling my journey building a tiny house from close to scratch.
- Gross Square Footage: 205ft^2
- Style: Semi-Modern
Tiny House Sub-Systems
- Solar panels – ~9 LG 35V/360W
- Solar System Voltage – depends on battery choice
- Battery pack – Powerwall or DIY Tesla Modules
- DC-AC inverter – ?
- Main power system – 120VAC
- Indoor lighting – Pixi LED Panels with LED task lighting where necessary
- Outdoor lighting – Dark Sky compliant modern LED lighting
- Switches – Internet controlled + dimmable
- Interior paneling – Gypsum Drywall ½”
- Exterior material – Cypress siding
- Roofing – Raised seam metal roofing
- Tempered triple pane windows
- Heating and cooling – Mitsubishi Mini-Split Ductless Heatpump
- Thermostat – Integrated with heat pump
- Ventilation fan – multiple HRV’s
- Insulation – Dow XPS Foam, 2 3/4″ for the floor (R15), 4″ for the roof (~R21), 3″ for the walls + 1.5-2″ outside (~R25)
- Washer/Dryer – Stackable unit
- House wrap – Tyvek Drain Wrap
- Water heater – Small electric with integrated tank
- Sink – ?
- Toilet – Plumbed for a flush toilet (with the option of compost/NASA toilet)
- Shower – Most likely wet shower configuration
- fridge – NovaCool 3.5ft^3
- Stovetop – 2 1.8kW Induction Burners
- Oven – Convection Microwave?
- Cabinets – ?
- Food Storage – Shelving above refrigerator side of counter
- Mattress – Casper Double mattress
- Linens –
- Trailer weight – 3,300lb
- Weight Cap. – Goal < 9,000lb
- Tongue weight
- Hitch style – 2 5/16
- Truck towing cap – 250-350 class (depending on final weight)